Warning – Photobucket users

HomeForumsGeneral discussionWarning – Photobucket users

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Royjess 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Royjess
    Participant

Photobucket have change their T&Cs “Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.”

and anyone using photobucket have now have all there photos posted on forums blocked unless we pay a ranson of £400 pa

This has affected all photocucket users on many other sites as well as this

DARKVIEW
    Participant

RIP-OFF PHOTOBUCKET them ransom frackers…

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  DARKVIEW.

Royjess
    Participant

“For users who are affected by this, it is important to note that the images are not gone. They are still hosted on Photobucket, and you can actually load them right then and there by right-clicking on them and selecting “open image in new tab” or “open link in new tab” depending on the web browser that you are using. This opens the Photobucket website where the original image is displayed.”

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/

Daz
    Participant

Well Photobucket has made a mess of my build diary without the picture its not much good and you can’t even edit the posts to update the links for the images with new links from another photo sharing site.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Daz.

Royjess
    Participant

Photobucket has cause damage to many forums, blogs and website. This has affected everyone whether your a photobucket user or not. You can still view the photos, but you need to right click on where your image is supposed to be and then open up the image in another window. This is a pain and defeat the object of posting a pic on here.

Many people have taken to twitter/Faceboook to complain and I’ve also sent them a PM. If you haven’t done so, I would post a message about your discontent on photobucket twitter/facebook page. The more the better

What they have done is brutal and have destroyed many communities that uses forums to share their interest. The post on here can’t be edited to replace the pics. There will also be historic post where the original poster is no longer with us. What they have done has completely obliterated these sites. These sites are full of useful information and help.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Royjess.

Royjess
    Participant

I found this interesting information

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

It explains why 3rd party hosting is highly expensive for the photo hosting site, how advertising revenues are declining and they go on to say that it’s very likely that other photo hosting site will follow suite. Even though it puts things into balance, it’s not great news for the future of forums. I’m sure that someone somewhere in this world will come up with a solution. But until then it will have to be something that us all will have to embrace 🙁

I also had another reply from photobucket

“Hi Roy

As it all stands now, we will not be adding a grandfather clause to older accounts. I have forward your suggestion to our executive team, but as of now, it is not in the plan going forward. Again I am sorry” Photo bucket

DARKVIEW
    Participant

It’s a royal pain in the ass, disgraceful by them. I’ve went to a new free service…. imgur. So far brilliant but it’s gonna take forever to replace a 2 year info build on RPF.

Royjess
    Participant

I’m in the process of replacing all my photos on another forum. To give you an idea how long it could take. So far it’s taken me 24 hours to replace 250

I’m using Imgur
    Google photos https://www.google.com/photos/about/ , but you will need to use the code generator to post the images to all browsers as the link will only work on chrome https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/
    I’m also using my public album in facebook as well as some other hosting sites

This is also interesting to read with some other alternative suggestions for photo hosting sites

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/photobucket-alternatives-for-third-party/

TinyPics is owned by Photobucket
    I’m going to spread all my pics on several sites, if one follows suite, it would be easier to change a couple of hundred photos as appose to a few thousands.
    Also, if you link too many photos to a third site, the hosting site might block your pics again
    I’m also saving a copy of each image to my laptop and naming them with the name and date of thread to link each pics back up again if anything were to happen again.

DARKVIEW
    Participant

Ditto, the PhotoBucket download will take god knows how long, if it works!

Royjess
    Participant

I’m not downloading all my images from photobucket in one shot.

I’m tackling each post one by one. I right click the pic to bring up the pick in a new window/tab. I copy the pic to my laptop, then reload it to another site and then edit the post to accommodate the new BBcode.

I’m doing this one pic at a time, that way I know which pic goes where.

Here is a controversial thing to use, it’s an ad-blocker, there are many other one available, but I’m using ABP

https://adblockplus.org/

Make sure that you download the correct one for your browser. It blocks all those pesky adverts on Photocucket and also works on other sites too

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.