The "Hey. You lost her to me fair and square." build

HomeForumsGeneral discussionThe "Hey. You lost her to me fair and square." build

This topic contains 92 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  kazarn 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author

TheGunslinger
    Participant

Fantastic recreation of the damage from the 5 footer. Brilliant.

oldmanemu
    Participant

Thankyou Gunslinger.

oldmanemu
    Participant

I know this won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m going to make this look more like the 5 foot Falcon. I started doing some painting on the turret today. I still have to scratch it up, paint the gun and do some weathering.

Ian Lawrence
    Participant

Bugger all wrong with going on the 5 footer as a basis for paint, detailing, battle damage and the rest. Excellent work thus far!

oldmanemu
    Participant

Thankyou Ian. 🙂

oldmanemu
    Participant

So after learning some basic scratch building I figured I’d really jump in the deep end and rebuild the ramp. This should hopefully be a better representation of the actual film set ramp. The sets ramp is wider, shorter, there are three hydraulic lifts spaced evenly along each side and the end step detaches from holes at the front and lays in the ramp and does not fold over. I made the ramp itself by glueing rectangular pieces together in a sandwich and filing the sides at an angle. It was the easiest way I could think to get that layering/stepped look on the sides. The panel needed the edges removed and the back cut out to accommodate the extra width of this ramp.

Strips of card was glued together the same way as the ramp for the inner sides. They were in the same order size as the ramp, 1mm, 1mm then 2mm and 2mm, so the sides and ramp would interlock when closed.

I screwed them on temporarily while the glue set.

oldmanemu
    Participant

I’ve already planned it out and realise the frame will need to be cut….fairly drastically. The green areas will need to be removed on both sides.

From what I can tell, there are no frame pieces that will be cut off at this point (previously cut for the standard ramp mod) that are weight bearing or structural strength for the actual frame. Its just there for the ramp panel to have something to attach to. I’ll be changing the way the panel is attached with clips holding the frame instead of screw holes.

oldmanemu
    Participant

I made another ‘sandwich’ to fit at the back for the hinge to be glued to. It reinforces the back too. A section across the front was attached to cover the frame. It’s quite strong now at this point and has a bit of weight to it.

This is the inside. Some rod was used at the front sides to reinforce that joint. The ramp floor will be sloped upwards towards the coridoor, it may be hard to make out but the top of the ‘hinge’ is sloped to accommodate this later on.

A front view to show the layers.

oldmanemu
    Participant

I removed the screws and drilled the holes out bigger so I can plug them with some plastic rod. Trimmed them off with sprue cutters.

The edge seams had gaps and I tried filling them with putty. It got fiddly and was going to be difficult to keep the edges neat and straight so I cut some paper thin plastic card to shape and covered the whole section. It was much neater and the edges were flush and straight. Just some minor filing was needed. I also added long strips down the entire length to cover up the gaps.

oldmanemu
    Participant

This is where I am at now. It’s nearly complete, just some niblet panelling to put on now.

And with some undercoat. It makes it easier for me to check for seam gaps and where any filing may be needed.

Closeup of the sides.

The undercoat shows I need to file a little bit around the side sandwich as I can see a seam going horizontal there.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.