The "Hey. You lost her to me fair and square." build

HomeForumsGeneral discussionThe "Hey. You lost her to me fair and square." build

This topic contains 99 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  oldmanemu 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 71 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #28824

    oldmanemu
    Participant

    Going back to my first dremmel bit, I made a shallow outline around this hole. The second and third black circle will also have this done. Some putty was smeared around the holes to cover up the dremmel grooves.

    This allows a piece of .010 (0.25mm) plastic card to be fitted. I hacked at it’s centre with some scissors before gluing it in place.

    At this stage a blistering cold front and mild hurricane decided to wander across the state. Since I was doing this outside due to the dremmelling, it is now on hold unfortunately.

    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by  oldmanemu.
    #28826

    oldmanemu
    Participant

    Did some more today. I dremmelled a round space around the other two holes about 0.25mm deep and cut out the round sections of plastic card to fit.

    And cut holes in the centre of each before gluing down. I also dremmelled some more with the round bit to make the holes wider and deeper. The holes are pretty much all the way through and can’t go any deeper. I made the holes wider for the next step.

    I heated up an M3 buttonhead screw I wasn’t using and pressed it into the holes, rolling it around and squishing the plastic card into the rounded plastic hole.

    I then used the scrap offcuts and glued pieces down to fill the space so that 0.25mm will be clear between the holes and the hull plating. Hopefully this will make it look like the hull is peeled away. I don’t like the first hole now that I’ve done the other two, so I’m going to redremmel it when it’s all dry and do it again.

    #28827

    oldmanemu
    Participant

    I redid the first hole as I thought it ended up looking rubbish.

    At this point I figured I had come this far, I might as well go all out. So I decided to do the very first hole and add some card to the last one.

    Added some putty to fill gaps and add some texture here and there, and glued the top plate on.

    Started adding putty to fill the seam. Have to wait for that to dry now before adding more. It’s a fairly big gap and the putty will shrink so I’ll let it dry fully for a couple of days before adding more.

    #28834

    gedmac66
    Participant

    Hey Freddie ,
    That’s a lot of serious modding/scratching going on there . What references are you specifically using in altering that panel ?
    Have you considered using ‘ Perfect Putty ‘ ? It’s easy to apply and shape/sand . Asking cause you mentioned the one you’ve been using ‘ shrinks ‘ abit?
    Anyhoo , get what you mean re; how quiet it seems on the Aussie thread . Guess people are busy with other ‘ life ‘ things to post at the moment 😉

    Keep posting and sharing updates mate , they’re appreciated

    Ged 👍🏼✌🏼

    #28835

    oldmanemu
    Participant

    Reference. Yes, it would be so much better to post a reference next to what I’ve done but it’s not allowed here. 🙁 . It’s the 5 foot version. There’s also some panel peeling on the front starboard that I will attempt too. With the gaps I’ve got Milliput for other things, but the gaps that need filling are too narrow for that plasticine type texture. I doubt it would work. Standard wet putty is better. The shrinking is ok because it falls back into the grooves. It’s easier to push in the gaps too. I’ve just learnt not to file/sand wet putty smooth until at least three days letting it fully cure (depending on weather of course) or else it will look smooth at the time, but it will indent later if it wasn’t fully dried.

    #28836

    gedmac66
    Participant

    Hey oldmanemu ,
    Just got through seeing some ‘ references ‘ of the panel you’re working on .
    I didn’t see the damage marks off the 5’ MF model , but rather the 1/72 scale one . Those aren’t uniform at all like on the deago !
    Gonna have to consider redoing them on mine . Just concerned about the depth of the ‘ holes ‘ though and wether they’ll be doable .
    Re; filler , I’ve been using the tamiya stuff myself , but now ( recently ) , also using the perfect putty – I’m my mind it’s a lot easier to work with and clean up is so much easier especially for thinner / smaller / delicate areas .
    Tamiya putty still used but for larger areas .

    #28856

    oldmanemu
    Participant

    There’s a 1/72 Perfect Scale Bandai kit that being released. That is a smaller model of the 5 footer. The damage I am copying also is from the 5 footer. This is it now finished with undercoat.

    The holes are not very deep as the frame is directly behind the holes now. It should look ok and have an illusion of being deeper when the paint is applied.

    #28857

    oldmanemu
    Participant

    I’ve also replaced the ‘screws’ on the turrets and vent cover with real screws. The turrets have M2 buttonheads and M2 grub screws in them now, and the rear vent cover has M3 buttonheads on each bottom side corner.

    #28858

    Daz
    Participant

    What can I say oldmanemu, other than fantastic! at first I was puzzled with the way you were tackling the damaged hull plate, but I waited to see the end result and I’m glad I did. Your managed to give the hull damage the look of the outer hull plating getting blown off by the impact, even braking through to the secondary hull, brilliant work!

    #28859

    oldmanemu
    Participant

    Thanks Daz 🙂 . Yea it got kinda a bit messy there when i started using up my offcut bits, but i had it all worked out in my head. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 71 through 80 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.