June 18, 2017 at 9:56 am #28733
Are these to scale for the hold? Can I ask where you picked these up?June 27, 2017 at 7:14 am #28757
I don’t have my hold together yet Hum, but looking at them against the hull they look a bit small. I think the hull is a larger scale inside isn’t it? So they’d look even smaller. I should have measured their height when I had them out.
The first pic is where Han puts his hand over his face. They almost are as high as the jaw in the film. The second is the landing leg box. The top of Threepio’s head should be about half way up against the box.
I got them from Game Traders.
June 28, 2017 at 2:25 am #28762
- This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by oldmanemu.
Actually I got it the wrong way around lol. The model is 1/43 but the inside hold is 1/48 so that makes the inside smaller. They look ok in the hold, maybe a tad small, but Threepio is shorter than Han.
Here he is at the corridor where I am thinking of putting him holding his leg.
And since I got everything out anyway, I thought I’d roughly put together my hold as it is to see how they look. The shot is a bit further back but I can see the figures look less cramped in the extended hold. Cool.
Oh and the heights are: Threepio 34mm and R2 24mm without the bases.
June 28, 2017 at 9:41 am #28764
- This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by oldmanemu.
That looks pretty close to scale. I’m tempted to get them, but my painting of these would look rubbish.
Thanks for sharing.June 30, 2017 at 10:16 am #28774
yea, it’s been a little over 20 years since i painted Warhammer figurines myself and i probably need bifocal glasses so i can see real close. I wear glasses to see far as it is lol. Hopefully they won’t look too bad. I found a pretty good video too of someone painting them.June 30, 2017 at 1:27 pm #28775
After watching the video I’ve decided to bite the bullet and give it a go. I found some cheap ones on eBay. C-3PO looks easy enough, R2 will be a challenge.July 16, 2017 at 7:29 am #28819
I noticed some people have been having issues with the exhaust cover warping. I did not follow the instructions and waited until I had both front pieces. I attached the rear three as normal and then joined the two front pieces separately.
It’s a little tricky getting the two halves to fit this way. The rectangle piece that juts out has to be put on at a certain angle and pressed and pushed down to click the two halves together. It’s harder to get apart too for fine adjustments in regards to trimming edges with a hobby knife for a perfect fit. In hindsight, the curved pieces should have waited and attached to the two front pieces first.
No warping, no bending or twisting. Screwed down on the frame nicely with the M3 8mm screws.
I’m guessing the way the instructions say to put this section together, the single front piece can screw down as hard as you put it with nothing on the side to stop it leaning. Some people have forced the second front piece on and it may be stressing the area. I guess the way I did it, the stress is placed evenly across the horizontal with none on the vertical.
July 16, 2017 at 8:04 am #28821
- This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by oldmanemu.
I started to alter that ‘damage’ on TP-15 today. The more I’m looking at pics of the 5 footer, the more I’m preferring that look. So I decided to make the damage on this piece look more like the 5 footer than the 32 inch version. It’s a layering technique I’m making up as I go along lol, so I hope it works. I’m going to attempt to paint it more like the 5 footer also.
First I made a pencil rubbing of the piece.
Then using 5 footer reference pics I drew where the damage would be.
I copied that onto the panel and drew an outline to judge where the new plastic shape would fit.
And cutting out the paper template and tracing onto .010″ plastic card (I don’t know the exact thickness in metric. I’m guessing 0.25mm. It’s paper thin. It was in one of the packs of thicker card I bought.), I cut out the piece that will be fitted on this panel.July 16, 2017 at 8:10 am #28822
I dremmelled around the inside of the line I drew, trying to stay within a half millimetre depth.
It went deeper in some parts but it should be ok. I’m going to fill the gaps with putty anyway.
And then I cleared out the centre of the circle leaving a hole for the new damage.
Here is the plastic card piece sitting on top.July 16, 2017 at 8:17 am #28823
This is the dremmel bit I used. I then drew on the placement of the holes.
For the holes I used a rounded dremmel bit as pictured. They are in slightly different positions now. The panelling on the 5 footer is different than the 32 inch, but they still fit. there’s really only five holes on the 5 footer, the other ‘holes’ are just panel damage. Those two little ones are added on the 32 inch so I kept them anyway. I’m more after what the damage looks like rather than exact model accuracy.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.