May 5, 2017 at 8:14 am #28615
Thanks @Oldmanemu for putting up how you did the doors.
Saves alot of time thinking how to make them. The Shapeways ones are a bit pricey so i will most probably be following your step by step directions on this one.
Your Landing Gear came up a treat too.
Cheers and have a good Weekend.
AzimuthMay 8, 2017 at 2:07 am #28616
Here’s a pic of my first set of doors above the redone set. The first is equal sized. I think they are better the second time around with differing widths. At the bottom are the Deag door covers.May 8, 2017 at 2:20 am #28617
There would be a number of different ways to attach the doors I guess, but if anyone wants to copy the what I did I’ll try to explain better.
I cut 2mm strips from both 1mm thick card and 0.5mm card. For these hinges I cut the 1mm card strip into 20mm long lengths and the 0.5mm card strip into 8mm long lengths. I was a little short with the last set of doors and had to glue extensions into their grooves to make them stronger. I changed the angle for the second set of doors so the strips came up shorter on the outer set. They just made it last time but were only attached with about 2mm. I went with plenty of leeway this time. Easier to trim bits off than add them on.
I the glued a 0.5mm piece onto the 1mm piece on the end at the angle I want the door to hang open. This set will be on a different angle again. Then glue another 0.5mm piece on the other side to match. Here is a pic of the strips with three hinges as described. The fourth at the bottom has the second 0.5mm piece glued to both sides.
I’ve done it like a little production line. Once one part was glued on, I layed it next to the last one to make sure the angles are the same. I’m using Tamiya green lid glue so there’s plenty of time to adjust them by moving the 0.5mm piece slightly with a blade tip.
May 8, 2017 at 2:37 am #28619
- This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by oldmanemu.
Once that step was done, I glued a piece of the leftover 2mm long strip inbetween the open ends of the two 0.5mm pieces. The offcut was glued at an angle with the point allowed to hang out. At the bottom left you can see the offcut glued in, the rest are all finished from the last step. I should mention that the overhangs on all the pieces would make perfect triangles. That way when they are trimmed and filed they will become perfectly straight edged.
As the last offcut dried, I trimmed it down with sidecutters and used that to glue into the next hinge. I didn’t want to cut another strip just for this so I did this step one hinge at a time. Once that was done, the excess ‘triangles’ were trimmed off all of the hinges and then filed smooth with a flat jewellery file. This pic shows four hinges that have had the excess ‘triangles’ trimmed down with sidecutters but not yet filed and the bottom four have been trimmed and filed smooth.
I measured out where I wanted them to go and glued them on. These are the rear doors so I am making four hinges instead of three. I don’t know if the set prop had four but I wanted to add an extra just for strength.May 8, 2017 at 8:22 am #28622
Absolutley amazing scratch building oldmanemu.
I love the hinges,they are very effective and look great.
Puts my ideas to shame.
Thankyou so much for sharing.
All the best.
AzimuthMay 8, 2017 at 5:03 pm #28625
Looks brilliant! I may have to try something similar. Great work there.May 28, 2017 at 8:12 am #28668
I finished these awhile ago, just never got around to posting them. I glued the hinges on spacing them evenly apart. They then were trimmed down to fit in the landing gear holes. Little wedges were also glued onto the inner edge so the lower door had some extra surface area to attach to.
I drew a little template for the angle of the door and the angle of the cuts for the hydraulic rods. They were then glued onto the door spaced so they can be also glued to the hinges for strength the same way as the front doors.
The grooves were cut into the top plate with a razor saw the same as with the other doors. I glued them on by putting the landing gear in its hole and sliding the doors into the grooves. With the doors in place how I want them, I placed a small drop of superglue onto the hinges with a toothpick from underneath. Once that was dry I could carefully remove the whole landing gear and then put ample superglue on to secure them from the top.
I added some extra hoses just to balance them out. Not screen accurate but I felt they needed more hoses on the far side not seen on screen. There probably weren’t even any there on set.
And here they are finished.
May 28, 2017 at 8:18 am #28670
- This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by oldmanemu.
Also picked this up on an impulse buy while out and about lol. I’ll paint these up later down the track and put them in the hold. I might have them set up so Threepio is standing in the archway holding his leg with R2 heading towards the Nav console.June 18, 2017 at 9:02 am #28731
So I’ve been working on the outer inside hull plating in preparation to put the sidewalls on the inside of the frame. More dremelling. I removed the ridge/line along the edge o the sidewalls can sit further in.
I thought I could get away without having to take the panels back off, but it was proving difficult to use a file along that edge and keep consistently smooth, so off they all came. Only the four needing dremelling, not every panel lol.
Here’s an angled shot showing the original edge (black) and the newly filed edge. Much better slope.June 18, 2017 at 9:03 am #28732
And here’s a pic of the top frame assembled.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.