The "Hey. You lost her to me fair and square." build

HomeForumsGeneral discussionThe "Hey. You lost her to me fair and square." build

This topic contains 80 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  TheGunslinger 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 81 total)
  • Author

pretorius
    Participant

Great work!!

Azimuth
    Participant

Excellent Build oldmanemu.

Love the scratchbuilding on the Hold.
    If you have the talent to to what your doing its more rewarding than buying aftermarket stuff.

Keep up the excellent work mate and look forward to to the next post.

All the best

Azimuth

oldmanemu
    Participant

Thanks guys.:)

oldmanemu
    Participant

The middle pieces of the double legs I had some trouble with. This is what I did on my second attempt.

I cut 5mm wide strips from 2mm thick card. I cut 9mm lengths from them and stuck two on top of each other. A piece 4mm x 9mm was cut from 1mm card then stuck on top of those. The bottom ends were filed on an angle.

I made a cross from more 1mm thick card. I think it was 4mm wide.

The triangles were cut from more 1mm card and glued into each corner.

Some filing down the sides, some putty for any gaps and some sanding and they were then done.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  oldmanemu.

gedmac66
    Participant

Bloody brilliant . Gonna try and emulate your work .

Thanks for sharing mate .

👍🏼✌🏼.

oldmanemu
    Participant

I had made little rectangles for the hydraulics the same way as the middle section out of two pieces of 2mm thick card glued on top of each other. One bottom edge on each was filed at an angle.

I had planned to cut a tiny piece of sprue and glue it between the small rectangles but it proved difficult and fiddly to line up properly. What I ended up doing was cut off the pole and carefully drill a hole with my pin vice through the leg box.

The sprue is exactly the same thickness as the poles so I used that as a replacement. I carefully drilled a 1mm hole, then went up slowly drilling then 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5 mm and then a 3mm bit. Holes were drilled into the little rectangles for support with glueing. Some offcuts were used to support them in position while they dried. Only the boxes are glued at this stage. The new sprue poles can still be turned.

Some large sprue from another kit (6mm thick) and some offcuts carved and rounded was used to make the middle box hinge hanger thingy shown here. The middle boxes also had small holes drilled in each side to rest the horizontal rods.

oldmanemu
    Participant

I had planned to cut and glue the thicker pipe to the bottom of the leg plate but it kept moving and was difficult to line up and get straight. What I ended up doing was drill a hole through the plate, again starting at 1mm getting larger up to 6mm, and ran the sprue pole through the hole. It is much stronger this way.

oldmanemu
    Participant

Since I am making this up as I go along, the horizontal rods were not lining up the way I had hoped. They ended up going crooked or falling off. I also spent way too long trying to melt and stretch sprue to use. In the end I carefully drilled a 1.5mm hole all the way through each one and used some of the rod I had for my red lights. Now it is perfectly horizontal.

Sorry that some pics are blurry. I’ve been taking them on my phone.

oldmanemu
    Participant

Now onto the front legs.

I cut a rectangle out of 1mm card and trimmed and rounded the edges with a file on one end. I glued that to another piece of 1mm card and trimmed around it. I found working with 1mm card is easier at this small scale than trying to make this out of 2mm card.

After making two parts this way I glued them together with a 1mm thick strip between them.

A 3mm hole is also drilled into the leg for the sprue to go into.

A small triangular wedge was glued to the top. The face of the leg was filed flat and then the new piece was glued to the back. A hole for the sprue was drilled through to the bottom ‘plate’. A piece of 1mm off cut was slid into the slot to support while drilling.

Here is a picture of the new piece lightly held in place to judge width. Filing was done to make it flush with the sides.

Some putty was applied to fill any gaps and then sanded down. Note the sprue goes all the way through to the bottom.

And here they are with a dash of undercoat so I can see if the gaps are filled well enough.

And here’s the leg with a splash of black paint.

All three front legs were done the same way.

oldmanemu
    Participant

To finish them off I wanted to add some hoses. I had seen some people on Facebook using guitar strings. They had used the low ‘E’ string. As a guitarist I had spare strings laying around and was about to start using an E string, but laying it against the leg I felt it was too large and decided to go with an ‘A’ string instead. The E string was also cumbersome to bend the way I wanted them to hang and they would never have all fitted anyway.

I sat down and rewatched Empire to study the hoses. I ended up sketching out the positions on a piece of paper.

The A string is 1mm thick so I used a 1mm drill bit with a pin vice. I found angling the holes to the direction you want the hoses to hang made them look more natural. I fed the string down a hole then up through another. Bend the tip over with small pliers then pull back down and superglue in place. Adjust the string with the loose end until happy with the position, then mark with a sharpie. Pull it back up and trim allowing some extra for bending. Pull that side back down into position and superglue in place. repeat for all strings/hoses.

Hmm, that sketch of mine is upside down lol.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.