The "Hey. You lost her to me fair and square." build

HomeForumsGeneral discussionThe "Hey. You lost her to me fair and square." build

This topic contains 99 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  oldmanemu 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author

Daz
    Participant

Well Done oldmanemu!

I love to see scratch build sections to enhance models and the ramp area is a good example for this, there’s plenty scope to improve it, are you planning to do the interior walls for the ramp up to the corridor?

As with your other improvements I’ll be trying to keep a close eye on your work for any idea’s that I might use in the future on other builds.

I look forward to the next attention-grabbing update.

Daz

oldmanemu
    Participant

Thanks Daz. Yes i’m going to do the walls too. At this rate it’ll never get finished 😀 I also motorised the radar but i used a geared dc motor and reversed the polarity with two relay switches so it goes clockwisw/anticlockwise. I’m also going to do the damage on the front like the 5 footer, the same technique as i did the other damage.

kazarn
    Participant

You’re doing an incredible job with the Falcon, too much for a lazy person like me XD

oldmanemu
    Participant

Thanks Kazarn.

I don’t think I posted pics of the actual ramp itself yet. It was made from layers of card 1mm and 2mm thick.

Some thin strips were added for the rails.

The fronts had another strip of 2mm to make them higher and then filed down along the sides the same angle as the hull.

I added some side strips on the sides to give the ‘stepped’ area the recessed look. It interlocks with the frame now.

I started to cut out square sections in the sides for the lifters but it looked messy, so I’ll have to fix them up. Since I have realised the Deag lifters are bulky with the square hinges, I think it will bebetter if I make my own. I started to make some with plastic rods and tubing. The middle I got some plastic covered wire that worked great. I bent the end at 90 degrees and hopefully that will fit nicely in a small hole in the side of the ramp.

oldmanemu
    Participant

I put M 2.5mm buttonhead screws on the front of both mandibles.

oldmanemu
    Participant

I haven’t touched the ramp in about a week as I was thinking how to do the lifters and fix the side, so I prepared a mandible recess for the red lights. The front mandibles have a red light inside at the back (the scene where Chewie hugs Luke), well, one is seen on screen so I assume the other one has one too.

I cut a section out at the back.

I put some rods over the hole, allowing some gaps for light, similar to what is seen in the film.

Painted black a little light seeps through.

I made a little holder for the LED to sit in and stuck t on the side. the aim is to have the light shine across the hole and not directly in to it so it gives more of a glow like in the film.

I made a little light box to direct the light over the hole. Some mesh was also put over the back of the hole to diffuse the light.

I haven’t installed it yet as I have to paint it, but the sunlight can be seen seeping through the gaps. Hopefully it should work ok. If it’s too bright i’ll have to put a bigger resistor in. It works by the power of the sun atm. 🙂

oldmanemu
    Participant

I know, I know. Why paint it first? I thought I had the mandible finished ready to paint, but I had this idea lol so took it apart. It wasn’t deliberate to paint it first.

Hum
    Participant

Love your work. I must admit I didn’t realise they had a glow to them in the movies, I’ll have to rewatch them.

gedmac66
    Participant

Some interesting and detailed mods / scratching you’ve got going on there Freddie . Like @Hum – didn’t realise any glowing / illumination happening in the various pits . Knew about the landing gear recesses having some though 😜 .
    Gotta revisit the film again !

Anyhoo , seems you’re going great guns 👍🏼 . Keep sharing mate .

Ged ✌🏼

oldmanemu
    Participant

Thanks guys. Yea, the red light is subtle but i’m pretty much going all out so i’ll try and add as much as i can do. There’s also a red glow on the sidewall between the cockpit when Han is shouting “turn it off! Turn it off!” as the sparks are flying around. I have to thank Daz again for inspiring me to learn some electronics and putting more in. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.