Australia Thread

HomeForumsGeneral discussionAustralia Thread

This topic contains 893 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  gedmac66 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 881 through 890 (of 894 total)
  • Author

harddrive
    Participant

Thanks for the update @oldmanemu and @gedmac66, looks like it will be an email to Bissett for a replacement!

Wish I could say my falcon was progressing well, but here’s its current state.

Lack of time/space and more importantly skills and money (for aftermarket parts) are stopping me from starting atm. Got a couple of other smaller projects on the go to up my skills before I tackle this beast.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  harddrive.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  harddrive.

gedmac66
    Participant

G’day @harddrive , no probs .

Don’t know if I should be saying this but , what you’ve got in your stash ( untouched ) is pretty much what I’ve got in a couple of containers as well ( unopened since #35 I think ) . Glad I’m not the only one 😉. Not through the lack of want though , just some ongoing family-stuff/life etc…, and when I do find ‘ quiet ‘ time it’s been the interior sections and lighting for those that I’ve worked on . Almost done !!!. Good luck with yours 👍🏼

@Hum , how’s it going ?
    Awhile back you mentioned something about purchasing JST pre-wired ‘ multi ‘ connectors in one ( hope I got that right ) . Was wondering what you thought of them , and if you’d recommend them for using with the rather limited ‘ ports ‘ we get with the supplied deago board ? For those who’ve O.deed on extra lighting 😜,!!!

Cheers Ged

krakajac
    Participant

Still waiting on issues 70-73 here in Queensland.

Build is going well. Of the 69 issues I have, 66 are in the ‘completed’ pile, never to be read again. Only 3 issues that I can work on – and they can’t be started until I paint the hull.

Got my DOA paints recently, so will bite the bullet and start spraying soon.

Hum
    Participant

The parts arrived but havnt played with them yet, I’ve been kicked off the dining table into the spare room.
    So I’ve decided to turn it into a modeling room. I’m installing 4 meters of work desk and some lighting, plus some shelves and storage for the parts.
    I figure I’ll be building more models in the future. I’m currently working on the Black Pearl, Falcon and the Delorean, next will be R2 and the X-Wing when they come out.

But yeah I’m still hear plugging away….

I’ll let you know about the connectors over the weekend.

gedmac66
    Participant

Good to hear from you guys , ( @krakajac , @Hum )
    Maybe we’ll start to see updates /posts from a few more of the Aussie brigade that started this build on this thread . 😜

@Hum , look forward to it . By the by , getting a whole room devoted to yer hobby / pastime !? . Now you’re just showing off ! 😝

👍🏼✌🏼

krakajac
    Participant

Got an e-mail from Oz Post today…Issues 70-73 to be delivered tomorrow (woohoo!) 🙂

gedmac66
    Participant

Hey gang ,

Just wondering if anyone here in OZ is familiar with / used , Halford’s Plastic Primer or , Hycotes’ Grey Primer ?
    And if so , know of any places locally where they may be purchased ( in country ) .

Failing that , does anyone know of a comparable product / brand found easily over here ? Both brands ( automotive spray versions ) mentioned above have a good reputation for use on plastics ( good coverage , bonding and no ill effects on the plastic )….from what I’ve read .

Any help and / or advice appreciated ,

Cheers Ged

Royjess
    Participant

I use automotive paint’s (especially etch primer) for metal parts.

Just be aware that automotive paints are thicker than model paints, so spray thinly otherwise you may lose some of the detail.

I’ve stuck with the recommended Tamiya paints on the plastic parts and the Tamiya primer really adhere well to the plastic.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Royjess.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Royjess.

gedmac66
    Participant

Hey @Royjess ,

Thanks for replying , but I’m hoping to use it ( spray paint ) on plastic .
    From what I’ve read these brands are really popular and effective . They also come in larger cans , making them more attractive price wise . Unfortunately , the net has sellers offering them at pretty high prices , or , won’t ship to Australia at all .

Hence the part about similar quality ‘ auto plastic primers ‘ sold locally . If anyone has knowledge / experience with them , please share .

Ged 👍🏼✌🏼

oldmanemu
    Participant

I used Dy-Mark etch primer from Bunnings. It works fine. The nozzle is crap so ikeep cleaning it, but the primer itself I have had no issues with. I don’t know about Halford’s. I guess it’s an American/UK thing?

Viewing 10 posts - 881 through 890 (of 894 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.