Australia Thread

HomeForumsGeneral discussionAustralia Thread

This topic contains 893 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  gedmac66 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 871 through 880 (of 894 total)
  • Author

Azimuth
    Participant

Hi Gedmac66.

Ive only primed my 2 Wall ends that i purchased from SHAPEWAYS. I soapy washed and rinsed them both in lukewarm water with a soft brisle toothbrush and left them to dry over night in the lounge which was warm.
    Not sure with the light. I saw one that was hollow and the seller said you just feed side glow fibre up to the ends and light block the middle part.
    All the best Gedmac66

Azimuth

gedmac66
    Participant

G’day @Azimuth ,
    Glad to here your builds underway . Wall ends from Shapeways sound good , are you happy with them ? . The bunk / light part is also from Shapeways ( Satyrs ) . I tried making my own taking tips/help/advice from various others who’d done so , but none of my ‘ attempts ‘ came out anywhere close to ever being considered acceptable 😩 . Might/Should have left a comment/question on that particular site . I’ve pretty much ‘ scratched/built/modified ‘ components ( for my hold out of styrene and stuff ) , but even though my build is very-far from accurate , there’s only so much I can attempt before admitting defeat .
    I’m just worried about what I’ve read regarding ( over a period of time ) UV/direct sunlight has on 3D-parts if not properly sealed/protected . The middle will be painted , but the ends have to let ‘ light ‘ through ( so un-painted ) , but still protected .
    Anyhoo , looking forward to some pics from ya mate 😉
    Cheers Ged 👍🏼✌🏼

Azimuth
    Participant

Hi @Gedmac66

Went round and asked my mate who builds a lot kits From Aircraft Carriers to Gundam movable kits.
    His advice regarding UV problems was to seal the light somehow, whether paint or a clear.
    He also said that depending on the plastic and how thick it is, it could become brittle over time if the light source puts out even small heat.
    Hope this helps mate.

Azimuth

oldmanemu
    Participant

OMG getting these hole placements for the lights is driving me mad lol. Everything needs a mod because the frame gets in the way. Where I want a couple of red ones, the front recesses are in the way. Going to have to cut some of the recess part out to get the red light there. A couple of white lights have the mandible plating in the way uggh. I’m hoping I can slide an LED under it. Been wracking my head over this but then just give up and put it away again.
    On a good note, the top hull is put together, minus the rear engine plating that we don’t have yet. I put the rest of the notches in TP1 and 2. Most of the piping and greeblies are attached. I got some M4 grub screws and M3 buttonheads for the turrets but they were the wrong size. Ended up going back and getting M3 grub screws instead and they are perfect. They didn’t have any M2 buttonheads in stock so I have to wait.

gedmac66
    Participant

Cheers @Azimuth , going by what others ( who’ve used 3D parts ) have done , I’m just going to wash /dry / paint , then clear coat the ‘ light – lamp ‘ ends and hope for the best ( oh and try to avoid direct sunlight 😂 ) . 👍🏼.

G’day Freddie , you’ve been bloody busy mate 👍🏼 . Didn’t know there were lights on the surface of the turrets ? Are you planning to use LEDs throughout or a combination ( like Colson ) with fibre optics ?
    I’m planning to add the red warning lights on the underside , but am wary of using up too much power , so I’ll probably take Colsons’ method of running a few red LEDs and hooking them up with 2mm fibre running into and from those ‘ cramped ‘ spaces you’ve mentioned .
    Cheers Ged 😉✌🏼

gedmac66
    Participant

@oldmanemu , LOL !!!
    Just realised those ‘ dark ‘ additions on the turret weren’t leds , but the screws you were going on about !
    😜 Ged

oldmanemu
    Participant

Well..it’s quiet around here. I’ve soldered my landing light looms and small white spotlight and 4 large for the undercarriage today. Havent done the red, ran out of shrink tube. Won’t be installing any electronics though until its painted..and since my airbrush didnt arrive from China that might be a while yet. o_O

harddrive
    Participant

Hey all,
    So just received my latest delivery today, issues 70-73 and it doesn’t seem to have included the mandible reference blueprint mentioned in the magazine.
    Wondering if everyone else has received it or not with their delivery?

oldmanemu
    Participant

I’m up to 76, i can’t remember what issue it cae in but i do have it. It’s a big fold out like the first one.

gedmac66
    Participant

G’day @harddrive , I’m a newsagent sub and the Mandible Foldout came with #73 .

On a side , how’s everyone hanging ? … asking cause it’s been pretty quiet around here 😴😐

Viewing 10 posts - 871 through 880 (of 894 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.