Australia Thread

HomeForumsGeneral discussionAustralia Thread

This topic contains 872 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Azimuth 1 day, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 873 total)
  • Author

krakajac
    Participant

When I subscribed on-line, it gave me the option to choose the shirt size. We’ll see if the correct one turns up! 🙂

DK-Matty
    Participant

Im in Melbourne and my Dad just told me about this and im interested in starting. Im going to go to the news agent/s today and hope I can find these in store so I can buy them weekly. Does anyone buy these in store?? Because it seems like everyone has an online subscription..

A few questions..

Does anyone know what issue I would find in stores today? Have I missed issues 1&2 and only find issue 3 in store?
    Do any issues come with paint?
    The last bonus free gift for online subscription (Wall mount) can anyone confirm that majority of small LCD wall mounts will be the same?
    What are the benefits of online subscription over in store purchases?

Im a full-time carer for my grandfather and get rather bored being home all day, every day for the last 4 years so I’d much rather go out and buy these weekly than sit around the house (As I already do) and wait for my editions to arrive..

Also any info for a newbie model builder and painter such as myself would be much appreciated! I look forward to seeing you all around, you will no doubt see me around these forums 🙂

BradM73
    Participant

I’m not in Australia so I can’t comment on whether or not they would be in your local stores or not, but no issues come with paint. There are few pieces at the start that are painted, but 99.9% of the painting you will need to do yourself if you want it painted like the original prop. On the wall mount, I don’t think anyone knows at this point what it will even look like yet. We’ve seen a couple of promo images, but that’s really it. Yes, it will likely be a fairly standard monitor wall mount, but beyond that, we don’t know until issue 99 or 100. Benefits of an online subscription would be access to the additional free gifts that you are offered which typically don’t come with the store bought issues. Hope that answers some of your questions.

Cheers!

DK-Matty
    Participant

Im shocking with paint.. Im not sure if I could paint this lol, As far as I can tell you get 4 free gifts when your subscribe online, the only one of interest to me is the wall mount.. Any idea if I could just buy the issue online that comes with the wall mount and get it as a gift or do I NEED to sign up to the full 100 issues online to receive the wall mount?

Hum
    Participant

The advantage of the subscription is that your guaranteed to receive all issues. If there are stock shortages (happens all the time) they will look after subscribers first before newsagents. Also any problems with faulty parts or missing parts, you just need to call the customer service line, the newsagents will have drama trying to get you replacement issues.
    Hope you enjoy your build.

jinnai
    Participant

As someone who has dealt with Bissett Magazines several times in the past, I can confirm without a doubt that the above quote is incorrect. If there are stock shortages they will withhold said issue and deliver regardless with an apology letter, leaving you with a missing issue and no notice on when it’ll arrive. Also any problems with faulty or missing parts will result in massive drama and a wait of at least 2-4 weeks until you get a replacement, and even then you will have to pay for it.

After subscribing to Bissett for Build the Bismarck, Lancaster and Endeavour, I gave up mid way with both the Lancaster and Endeavour as it was costing me more to replace broken parts that happened due to Bissett’s terrible packaging than what it was to build the actual model. When Build the Victory came out in Australia, I subscribed through my local newsagent. They let me know instantly if an issue was delayed, and replaced my issues free of charge if they contained missing or broken parts. Gordon & Gotch have a better service than what Bissett Magazines will ever have.

On top of it all, the people (I should say person, as it is more than likely still the one lady manning the phone) behind the customer service line has no idea about the things they are selling, so any attempt to explain an issue in detail will result with a very confused customer service person on the other end of the phone.

But it’s up to you. I highly recommend subscribing through your newsagent. And yes, you will need to subscribe to the entire run to get the wall mount from Bissett.

Hum
    Participant

Wow you and I have had totally different experiences with Bissett. This will be my 3rd subscription with them, and while I’ve experienced missing issues due to stock shortages, they do show up with future issues. Anything that has arrived damaged or missing (not that many) was replaced no charged. I suppose it depends who you get, there’s been a lot of mixed reviews for Bissett.

S4Simon
    Participant

DK-Matty, If you’re going the spray painting route, take a look at the official Steve Dymszo videos on youtube. If you want to go the ‘no spray painting’ route then take a look at Darkview’s build. This guy does some amazing stuff with oil paints. IMO by far the best looking Deag MF currently being built.

Darkview’s Deag MF Build

S4Simon
    Participant

Started messing around with test painting today. Trying to figure out which way to go – the full airbrush route using the Tamiya AS-20 as the base coat, or the alternate oil based painting method. Basically the spray painting method looks a little time consuming and looking at a lot of other builds, the colouring doesn’t seem to be quite there – my personal opinion of course.

After looking at ‘Darkviews’ build who uses an ‘oil based’ base coat, to me this looked like the best way forward, and after giving it a couple of goes over the weekend the process is simple and relatively quick, and produces a nice result – again in my opinion.

Another big bonus using this method is that you can jump in straight away using the Deagostini base coat. Once the oil has dried I can then start to apply the finer airbrush markings, soot and rust marks using the Tamiya weathering kits, plus etchings and other stuff.

Anyway a couple of before and after shots. FYI – This piece took 5 minutes to complete.

Before and after shot of the first test piece

Base coat applied

BradM73
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, but are these the panels the Aussie’s are receiving in their subscriptions? These looks like the Version 1 panels and not the updated once like Japan and France got.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 873 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.